Saturday, July 13, 2013

CHAPTER SEVEN: The Belligerent Brother


YEAR ONE
 
House Bank Account: $600.00
Mortgage:  $507.00 - $513.48
 ***********************
 
I was sitting at home one evening, contemplating snuggling down in my soft bed, when the phone rang.
"Um . . . this is Greg . . . from Manson Street," a voice stammered.  It sounded as if the owner of the voice was having difficulty enunciating around a mouthful of mashed potato.
"Yes?" I ventured after a silence.
Interspersed with hems and haws and long pauses, Greg finally managed to choke out the information that he had just been beaten up by Natasha's brother, Johnny.  Johnny had then apparently proceeded to kick dents in both street doors.
At this early stage of the landlord game, the news alarmed me.  Later on, when I had grown  more wise as to the quirks and foibles of some inner city Schemmerhornians, I realized that beating up on people and property was not an unusual pastime in that neighborhood.
Resigning myself to the thought of the twenty-five minute journey to Schemmerhorn, and a delayed bedtime, I promised Greg I would be over soon.  Then I telephoned Wim. 
"Come on over.  We'll go together," he sighed in a tired voice. 
I went to uproot the girls from their sleep.  Fifteen minutes later, Mummy gathered her sleepy granddaughters inside, and Wim and I took off for Schemmerhorn.
Upon our arrival at 5 l Manson Street, we were greeted by the sight of two badly-dented front doors.  The dents added some character to the house.  The left-hand door opened, and a shadowy figure beckoned us into the murky hall.  Judging by the bulky form, it wasn’t Melissa.
We followed the bulk into the apartment and emerged into the somewhat brighter light of the dining room.  The bulk turned out to be Greg.  Otherwise, I experienced a sense of déjà vu;  although the exercise machines were missing, the oil marks on the beige carpet remained, and Melissa and Tom were still sitting on the couch.  Come to find out, the exercise machines were now gently dripping onto the pale blue carpet in the back bedroom.
After a few moments of silence, during which we took stock of one another, I said, "Well?  What happened?"
"Mm, y'see," Greg began, "those people upstairs have been making trouble for a while now, right?"  And between gulps and stutters, the story eventually came out.
It appeared that Natasha had a penchant for frequent, large, noisy parties.  Groups of her friends would sit on the balcony and drop cans and papers and such over the railing onto the heads of the unwary beneath.
"Yeah, we clean up all the time out front," Melissa piped up in a breathy whisper.  "We'll just have finished clearing up, and they'll drop a candy wrapper over just to bug us."
"Yeah!"  Tom came to life with a husky baritone.  "And their garbage stinks!  It's strewn everywhere."
Sure enough, when we went outside we could see and smell the garbage which littered the alley between number 51 and the next-door neighbor.
"We've even cleaned up their garbage for them," Melissa breathed, "but they just keep throwing their bags over the side, and they split open like that.  We’re tired of it."
We stood and looked at the rubbish - but not for long.  The stench was overpowering. 
“I’m sorry this happened,” I told Melissa, Tom and Greg.  “If you want, you can report Johnny to the police.  Meanwhile, I’ll speak to Natasha and advise her that her brother is no longer welcome on the property.  I don’t see what else I can do at this point.”
"Yeah, well, mmm, okaaay . . ." the threesome murmured in disconsolate tones.
I left them standing there in the dining room, hands in pockets, staring at one another.
The following day, I wrote to Natasha to inform her that her brother was not permitted on the premises, and that this landlord would not tolerate that kind of conduct.  I also told her about her downstairs neighbors' complaints about the garbage littering the alley and suggested she buy herself a garbage can. 
Was I naive, or what?

No comments: