Saturday, July 20, 2013

CHAPTER EIGHT: Closing Complaints


Meanwhile, I was still fuming at the thought of the extra half-percent interest I was paying.  According to my calculations, it would add up to closer to $6,000 over the life of the loan.  To make matters worse, I had to call Attractive Mortgages twice to get the check sent to me.  The first time I called, I was informed that Mr. Smug had gone on vacation the day after the closing and had forgotten to inform anyone--apart from his secretary who had quickly typed the note I’d requested--of his promise to me.
“We’ll look into it,” I was told.
Ten days after the closing, I again called Attractive Mortgages.
"We can't issue you any check until he gets back," they said.
"When will that be?"
"Three weeks," was the reply. 
Three weeks! 
I wasn’t prepared to wait that long.  I complained forcefully to various high-up people, and eventually they agreed that if I faxed them the note Mr. Smug had signed for me at the closing, they would issue the check.  I faxed the note, immediately.  A week later, just as I was about to call again, I received their check.
The whole closing experience, plus having to beg for the $175, made me feel like getting the hell in.  I decided to make an official complaint.  It probably wouldn’t affect Attractive Mortgages one bit, but it would make me feel a wee bit better.  At least I could express my opinion of that crooked company to the authorities, whoever they might be. 
Rita told me there was a State Banking Department that investigated complaints about banks and lending institutions.  I decided to write to them.  Wanting instant vengeance, I faxed them my complaint. 
Not much happened. 
“We have forwarded your complaint to Attractive Mortgages,” the Banking Department informed me by mail, “and have requested that it be investigated.”  Attractive Mortgages were given thirty days within which to inform the Banking Department of their findings.  This seemed really silly to me, because, of course, Attractive Mortgages wasn’t likely to find itself at fault. 
“Meanwhile,” the Banking Department advised, “keep in mind that the Mortgage Banking Division has no authority to arbitrate factual disputes or contractual matters.”
In other words, they weren’t much use. 

          A week later, I received another check from Attractive Mortgages.  This one was for $150.  No explanation accompanied the check, but I assumed it was meant to be some sort of further compensation.  They obviously hoped I would feel duly compensated and would shut up.  Since I had no proof of their crookedness, and one can’t just waltz into Court on gut feeling, I heaved a sigh, buttoned my pride, and went to the bank to deposit the check.
 

No comments: